1. Pollution control : Govt should proactively buy/replace all the outdated vehicles. Look at no of scooters, auto rikshaws that leave smoke like a serious fire incident (If it is a developed nation, for sure there will be hell lot of fire alarms because of these vehicles).
2. Making life easy for vehicle owners/drivers. Let them drive without fear. Make rules simple. I always wonder why one need to pay fine if he forgets to have copy of insurance or RC book with him. If system is automated enough, it should be able to identify if he has valid documentation or not. If not(no insurance for that particular vehicle) then police can charge fine for that. Also if pollution certificate is not available, it is better to do the test on the fly and charge for the test. If test fails, then vehicle should be sent to garrage for repairs at the owner's cost. This will save millions of people from unwanted embarrassment followed by giving bribes to traffic police.
3. Inclusive development: Involve private and NGOs at various levels of development activities.
4. Traffic signals & sign boards: There is lot to be done. Regular monitoring of traffic nature and immediate alternatives to decongest traffic should be implemented. If a main road is too crowded at some junction may be alternate roads (through the neibhourhood residential areas can be developed and used. Most of the traffic problems occur at traffic junctions.
5. Cattle, Stray animals should be banned in metro cities. When there is no space for humans, these animals add more chaos in the system.
6. Increased public transport: Public transport should be increased on large scale. Private vehicles should be taxed more and public transport should be encouraged in all means. Public transport should be treated as a essential service and profit/loss shouldn't be counted. Similar to the focus on primary education, transportation should be given enough allocations.
7. Oxygen pumps at all important traffic junctions. These pumps should suck all polluted air and release pure oxygen into environment. I am really breathless because of pollution.
8. VIP visits: Security should be streamlined and camera's should be installed across the city at all locations, centralized data center should monitor the security conditions. VIP visits should not block traffic in anyway. If it is mandatory, then use of Helicoptors etc should be forced rather than making thousands suffer at every traffic signal for 5 min to 30-40 min.
9. Proper toilet facilities should be built across cities at all junctions/crowded places. If cities are made up of concrete jungles and millions of humans, certainly we are worth having enough public toilets.
10. Bus bays: It is very difficult to figure our when a city bus is going to stop to pick passengers at bus stop. If we have detailed marking for bus stops (some coloring on the road for bus bay).
11. Closed doors. Doors of all public transport vehicles should be closed while in motion and should be automated through control at driver/conductor seats.
12. Public notification system: